Daily Reports/Bulk Add Machines

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Hi Rudolf

thanks for creating this wonderful tool.

I am currently testing this in a lab enviornment and if successfull will implement it in production where it will be used on 70 systems.

I have the data from 2 systems going to the database(sql express 2008) every 60 minutes. I would like some mechanism where a daily email consisting of errors and warnings(last 24 hrs) from all systems to be sent to my team.

Also i added the 2 systems manually and every time i had to query the machine for a list of logs and then select what i wanted, is there a bulk add mechanism where a bunch of servers can be added?

Would appreciate if you could provide any suggestions.

Regards

Kiran

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Hi,

At the moment I'm not planning any automated reports or email notifications for this product since this was/is not the purpose what I use it for. The database structure is open and nothing prevents you from creating your own little application that pulls daily data into a report and then email it. Adding this functionality would just mean more code to maintain for functionality that is available from products like MOM/SCOM (which is specialized to do this).

For the bulk adding of servers I haven't thought about or required it myself yet. I'll look into it to perhaps allow adding not just bulk-add machines but all eventlogs of a particular machine.

Regards

Rudolf

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Rudolf.

i suppose i can do it with an sql query but since i am just beginning to learn sql, it i will probably take some time but thats okay i wont bother you with the SQL queries.

just wanted to add - the scavenger viewer tool is great, because it lets me select the date and time range, lets me group by any column i want,generate graphs etc

if there had been a command line version of the viewer tool i think a lot of what i want to do and i am sure a lot of others too would be accomplished via batch files that can be scheduled.

Anyway glad to hear you will look into my request and once again thanks for a great application and keeping it open source.

Regards

Kiran

Thanks Giving day wishes!

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

You might want to check out the latest version. I added a way to add a bunch of machines and their logs in one go.

Regards

Rudolf

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Awesome!

i just reinstalled the eventscavenger admin tool and found the bulk-add option under the file menu.Noticed the 'system logs' didn't include the 'security log' but thats all right i can live with it.

Once added it would be nice to have a delete feature on the context menu or the toolbar so that when all logs are added any that are not needed can be deleted by selecting them and right click delete or toolbar click delete.Right now i click edit on each and then delete them, i understand why it is this way because the polling filter must be dis-associated from the log before deleting them but anyway just a usability suggestion.

The above were just observations and even if not implemented would not be show stoppers but I would be really grateful if  you could develop a command line version(do sent need any new features) of the viewer tool when you have the time. Like i said most of the sys-admin requirements would be met with that.

Have had no problems with the service,it has been running for more than a week now. Stability is pretty good.

Regards

Kiran

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM

HI

another late observation- in the bulk add feature it would be nice if there was a import machine list from a text file.This would help when one has to add say around 100 servers:)

Also the bulk add feature does not have an option to set the polling filter so even though the machine logs can be added at one go the polling filter has to be manually set for each eventlog on each server which can be quite cumbersome.

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it and see if/how I can implement it.

As a (temporary) suggestion you might have a look at a tool like osql (sql command line tool) for extracting data directly from a sql server. It has various parameters and can output data in a number of formats.

The polling filter option I did not include yet (perhaps oversight) so I'll try to add that as well.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Ok great i will look forward to any new improvements and thanks for the osql suggestion.

Don't know much about it so will try to see if i can fit it to my needs but I suspect windows powershell will be able to pull data much more efficiently. I am constantly on the lookout to make things work better and smarter so will share here on what i find so that others can benefit from it.

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I added a basic command line tool that allows you to query the data in a similar way as the viewer tool. It outputs the data to a csv format.

Rudolf

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hi Rudolf!

I'm trying to add a sql server 2005 instance with the instance name 'server\instancename'  using Scavenger Event Admin 4.4 and get the error 'No such Host is known'.  I can connect to 'server\instancename' fine in SSMS so not sure what's going on.  Is there special syntax for adding a non-default instance?  Appreciate your help. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

You can disregard my earlier issue with adding a sql server 2005 instance with the instance name 'server\instancename'.  I added it with just the server name it worked. 

I do have one more question since I am very new at using this tool.  A message came up after bulk adding some servers which indicated I need to restart the collector for the changes to take affect.  I was unable to find a service or a menu item to restart the collector.  Appreciate your help. 

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Hi, the original issue probably means your database is located on the default instance of that SQL server - oppose to an SQL instance.

The info message on the bulk add window simple states that you must restart the "Event Scavenger" service in service manager of that machine. The word 'Collector' is simply terminology I use to name the 'Event Scavenger" service as there are 2 versions (current) of gathering services (called 'Event Scavenger' and 'Event Collector')

In the upcoming version 5 of the product/tool this issue/restriction has been removed as the new service will pick up new/changed machine-logs automatically. There is not a definite release date for this as I'm still working/testing on it part-time.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Hi Rudolf!

Thanks for your reply. It turned out that all I needed to do was to add the default instance name instead of the SQL instance as you stated. Seems to working now.

To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 01:26:44 -0700
Subject: Re: Daily Reports/Bulk Add Machines [EventScavenger:235515]

Hi, the original issue probably means your database is located on the default instance of that SQL server - oppose to an SQL instance.
The info message on the bulk add window simple states that you must restart the "Event Scavenger" service in service manager of that machine. The word 'Collector' is simply terminology I use to name the 'Event Scavenger" service as there are 2 versions (current) of gathering services (called 'Event Scavenger' and 'Event Collector')
In the upcoming version 5 of the product/tool this issue/restriction has been removed as the new service will pick up new/changed machine-logs automatically. There is not a definite release date for this as I'm still working/testing on it part-time.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (EventScavenger@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email EventScavenger@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com