Getting a SQL Error 0x80131904 Timeout expired

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

After ES was up and running for one day.  I cannot get the viwer to load anymore.

I'm getting SQL errors, the connection test is successful.

1) SQL Error 0x80131904 Timeout expired

2) System.Argumentoutofrangeexception:InvalidArgument=value of '6' is not valid for index.

at windows.forms.list.viewitem.listviewsubitemcollection.get_item

Has anyone seen this error and if so how can I fix it.

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 4:04 AM

If it is a connection time-out issue then you can just increase the timeout setting on the "Set Connection details" dialog window. Try limiting your search results and check that SQL server is performing optionally. Also ensure that the maintenance routines on the database (on the Event Scavenger service) is enabled.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Hello,

I'm doing tests with the application, and currently have 4,987,098 events in the database.

every time I open viewer gives me the error 0x80131904. already increased the timeout and the error persists. what can I do to for the application to work properly?

my idea of this application is to collect events (security, application and system) of 50 servers and stores them for 1 year, which settings you recommend?

thank you
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Edited Mar 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
The error code 0x80131904 seems to indicate some kind of invalid login or blocking of the connection. Usually the SQL error is "Cannot open user default database. Login failed.". Also ensure the SQL server allow remote connections.

Are you sure you connect to the correct server/database and have permissions to access the database? The latest Admin tool have a user management window to add users(Admin or viewers). Alternatively you can check in SQL server management studio if your account is part of either the EventScavengerAdmins or EventScavengerViewers group.

As for settings to store enough data you have to experiment with the data retention options. It's always a issue of keeping enough old data vs database size. Remember that you can set retention options both on each machine-log and globally.

Hope that helps.